I need a Little help from my friends

Home Forums Z80 Playground Early-Adopters I need a Little help from my friends

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kotec53
    Participant

Hello,
    I solved my hardware problems and now a write in the eeprom is well done in the ram.
    the burning test is running without error, Game of life and Tiny Basic are working.
    I can save and load a small program in basic without any problem.

CPM loads correctly but I have a problem:
    the first command works (example dir) but all the following commands fail with a question mark.
    Where is the bug ?
    I tried several versions of cpm, with always the same problem.
    I don’t know where to look, nor where to start to debug my card
    Thanks for your help.
    René

link for screen_image
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/110m827PbrlkVToCT6Jf9TlKys9_odOUZ/view?usp=sharing
    Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Phil_G

Hi René
    ‘dir’ is an internal ccp command so it looks to me like the ccp is getting corrupted. Game of Life, Tiny Basic and the break-in test all run in low memory, could it be that your memory chip has a problem in the upper half?
    Which memory chip is it?
    Beware that some Chinese 64k chips are actually failed 128k chips, on these the upper address line A16 of the 128k is still present and should be grounded, and any unused or no-connection pins should also be grounded. Since everything in low memory works ok but CP/M which uses high memory fails, I suspect ram problems 🙂
    Cheers
    Phil

Kotec53
    Participant

Hello,
    I will clarify the problem.
    1)I boot my card : I arrive on the monitor menu.
    2) I choose “c” to launch cpm
    3) if I type a command, it works only once, after the commands are refused with a “?
    4) I can launch “vi.com“, “sargon.com” or “stat.com” present on the disk A and everything works.
    5) the problem is that only one command works, after that it’s dead!
    for example, impossible to do “B:” then “dir” : B: works and goes on disk B, but dir is rejected ….
    I’m looking for the bug in ccp or in Z80ccp, but I don’t know where to look
    Help !

My ram is a AS6C1008 and it look like OK

Phil_G

Theres no bug in either ccp René 🙂
    On the AS6C1008, have you got pins 1 (NC) and 2 (A16) grounded ?
    Pin 1 is NC but we have found that it still needs grounding or high memory problems can appear. All the .com programs run in low memory so this could be a high memory problem and could be the result of a floating pin next to an unused address pin. Its worth a try 🙂
    Cheers
    Phil

Steve
    Participant

HI Kotec53
    What happens if you enter control-C at the prompt? Control-C should perform a WARMBOOT, which reloads CCP.

Another thing to look for, is your JUMP vectors, are they being overwritten perhaps, check in core.asm and core_jump.asm.

Don’t forget, John’s CP/M is not using a REAL BIOS. The DIR command is implemented by John in memorystick.asm

Good luck
    Steve

skx
    Participant

What happens if you enter control-C at the prompt? Control-C should perform a WARMBOOT, which reloads CCP.

Remember of course that this is not yet implemented, as per:

github.com/z80playground/cpm-fat/issues/65

As for the problem, it seems to be the same as the one I reported here:

8bitstack.co.uk/forums/topic/faulty-hardware

The solution was to swap out the RAM chip. Thought a temporary workaround of shorting that pin to ground resolved the problem too.

Kotec53
    Participant

Hello,
    I find the “bug” !!!
    No , it’s not the ram chip !!!

It’s just my teraterm on the PC, It send CR+LF on return key !!!!
    The positiv side of this “bug”, is that I go in the code of ccp and begin to understand the making of it .
    Thank for all your remarks .
    Now, I can play with my card and with my programs .
    Good day for me and you
    Bye

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Kotec53. Reason: nada
    john
    Keymaster

Ah good, you figured it out. I was about to say it was the line endings. If you have CR/LF configured it sends CR to end one command, then the next command starts with a LF, which is obviously rubbish, so doesn’t work.

Kotec53
    Participant

This is exactly what was happening.
    Sometimes you want to slap yourself in the face!
    I’ve been pissed off for three days about this bug that wasn’t a bug.
    Now I’m going to play with my nice cp/m on my hole card.
    I bought a nice wooden box, in a DIY shop, to put my precious “computerosaurus” in.
    I have to find an old VAG screen in the attic and put the ESP32-VGA module I received in place!
    A few more days of fun.
    It reminds me of the joy of coding in assembler in the 80’s when I was young (and beautiful).
    Bye

C’est exactement ce qui se passait .
    Des fois, on a envie de se donner des gifles !
    Trois jours que je me fais chier pour ce bug qui n’en était pas un.
    Maintenant, je vais jouer avec mon cp/m tout beau sur ma carte à trous .
    J’ai acheté une belle boite en bois , dans un magasin de bricolage, pour y mettre mon précieux “ordinosaure”.
    Il faut que je retrouve dans le grenier un vieux écran VAG et que je mettre en place le module ESP32-VGA que j’ai reçu !
    Encore quelques jours d’amusement.
    Celame rapelle la joie de coder en assembleur dans les années 80 quand j’étais jeune (et beau).
    Bye

john
    Keymaster

Old VGA monitors and PS2 keyboards are easy to find on websites where local people give things away for recycling. Or at least, they are here in the UK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.