Playground I/O PCB with 3x 8bit ports

Home Forums Z80 Playground Early-Adopters Playground I/O PCB with 3x 8bit ports

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    johnw
    Participant

If it were me I would modify the code that switches the rom to also drive a 1 bit latch on the expansion board, obviating the need for an extra wire. The latch could easily be included in the glue logic.

Phil_G

Hi John, the point is that either mainboard rom or mainboard ram occupies the PG memory map. Always! As standard, theres nowhere to open a gap for a paged area.
    The rom area (ie the lower 16k or 32k depending on the A14 jumper) is always occupied, either by mainboard rom or mainboard ram depending on the state of the uart /op2 pin, which isnt on the expansion bus. A further point is that rom is paged in by /op2 only for read, its never paged in for write – the PG effectively has a separate ‘read memory map’ and a ‘write memory map’ 🙂
    This enables the rom to copy itself to itself and then page out and continue running the same monitor code in ram as though nothing had happened!

None of this is difficult to change, but this was the point I was making in saying that the PG hardware would need to be modified to enable paging.
    For me, as an experimenters computer, the Playground is perfect as it is!
    Cheers
    Phil

johnw
    Participant

Hi Phil.

I certainly agree with your last sentence!

Cheers,
    John

Phil_G

Your freebie I/O board was posted today John
    Cheers
    Phil

johnw
    Participant

Thanks Phil.

Where did you buy the INS8255N? Or do you have a spare one you could sell me?

Cheers,
    John

Phil_G

The ones I used are 40+ year-old ones John
    These look genuine, and reasonably priced:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402927279739
    Cheers
    Phil

Edit: only one left!

johnw
    Participant

The board has arrived, Phil. Thanks very much.

Now just waiting for the components.

Cheers,
    John

Phil_G

Re the ebay 8255 listing linked above, someone bought two, was that you John?
    I left the last one for a few days to give others a chance but I just bought it just to ensure it has a good home. Bit expensive at £11 delivered but hey ho.

Would anyone be interested in a ready-made & tested I/O board? It would be at cost.

£11 for the 8255, £1 for the HCT10, £2 for the PCB, £2 for the socket row (I only use genuine Harwins from RS) and £1.50 for the turned-pin sockets – so £17.50 plus postage? Wow I didnt realise how that adds up, no wonder they’re not popular!

Cheers
    Phil

johnw
    Participant

Yes Phil. It was me that bought two. I like to buy a spare in case of any problems in future.

Cheers,
    John

roland
    Participant

Hi, I got an 8255 clone from old cccp via ebay/Bulgaria. From some old army stock. Working like a charm, With cccp stamped on plastic

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.